Installing FC3 to a USB HD requires a drivers disk or something similar?

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Sat May 7 07:45:49 UTC 2005

sergiu at zergiu.com wrote / ha scritto on /il 07/05/2005 04:18:

>Hi,
>I've tried that almost a year ago. Didn't worked. From what I've found out during my research on google, was that a
>special built kernel is needed. I don't remember is the needed code is in kernel (FC3 or vanilla) or the patch is
>available separately, but ... it doesn't work out of the box, thats for sure.
>Sergiu.
>
>On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 08:34:34PM -0500, Victor Marquez wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I want to install FC3 to an external USB Hard Disk (Western Digital).
>>I booted from the FC3 DVD but this external disk is not shown as an
>>option at the disk partition step.
>>
>>I have googled for this issue and found some hints. I have tried to
>>boot up the machine with the HS already connected and also have tried
>>to connect the drive after the boot. Same results, I can't see the
>>drive as option for partitioning-installin to it.
>>
>>Do I need to load a drivers diskette or something? Am I doing it wrong
>>for external USB HDs?
>>
>>Please help
>>
>>Thanks in advance for your help
>>
>>Victor Marquez
>>
>>--

I am happily running Fedora Core 3 from an external USB disk (actually a
EIDE HD in an USB envelope)
No problem for installation, but after installation you have to create a
particular initrd.You can read a good document here at
http://www.simonf.com/usb/ and I have also a document written by John
Austin (I do not remember where he posted this document!!!)
I understand that your disk is not recognized when hooked.What is the
output of lsusb???

--
 Antonio
Linux Fedora Core 3 on Pentium Casa