{Spam?} Re: Postfix Sluggish

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Nov 5 13:00:17 UTC 2005

James Marcinek enlightened us with the following gems on 11/04/2005
05:22 PM:
> I thought postfix did not relay mail by default?
That's a misconception
try this:
postconf -n | grep mynetworks
to see any non-default settings for relaying

postconf -d | grep mynetworks
to see if the default settings are still in place

postfix ships with a default configuration parameter:
mynetworks_style = subnet
which means that postfix will relay mail (unless you implement other
restrictions, such as smtp-auth and TLS) for any host on the same subnet
as your server.
if this is a public facing server that's a lot of hosts!

My master.cf file had an
> uncommented 'relay' service. I know I didn't add it. I commented it out and hope
> that it corrects the problem (plea for help on how to make sure no relaying is
> happening).
who should be able to use your server as a relay?

you can restrict this to certain subnets/hosts with the 'mynetworks'
parameter

or you could go the whole hog and implement authentication and only
allow relaying by authenticated users (as I use my mailserver from many
different IP addresses - the travelling laptop scenario - I need to do
things this way...)

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
   permit_sasl_authenticated
   permit_mynetworks
   reject_unauth_destination
   reject_rbl_client dnsbl.ahbl.org
   reject_rhsbl_sender rhsbl.ahbl.org

...with a very restrictive mynetworks setting

much more info in 'man 5 postconf'

Regards

Stuart