Problem with partitioning -- How to format hard drive and reinstall Windows?

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 03:37:18 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, peter wu <pwu95 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your kind reply, Eddie.
>
> But as I said, I tried to boot from the Windows XP CD. I get the following
> msg:
>
> "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuraton..."
>
> Then the computer hangs.

I normally boot from the fedora cd and type linux rescue.
Then I skip upping the network interface, and skip mounting the partitions.

I finally get to a prompt and I type this to clear the drive.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1M count=100

This is for an IDE drive. If you have serial ata, you will likely need to
substitute hda for sda.

Basically this blows away the partitioning information, and makes the drive
like new. You should then be able to get the windows cd to boot fine.

--
-=/>Thom