uol.com.br is now banned from this list

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Fri Nov 18 00:54:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 12:00 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 10:41 -0700, kwhiskers wrote:
> > I don't know why google/gmail isn't picking it up as spam. It is very
> > successful withthe rest of it.
> ----
> because it is an official bounce-back error type message. Servers do
> what they are supposed to do by RFC.

Actually, they're not. Proper bounces comes from <> (MAILER-DAEMON or
equivalent), not some fictitious email address. These are not bounces,
but invitations to register with their silly scheme.

> Self defense dictates that we filter them to /dev/null using
> procmail/sieve on the server, rejects on the server or mail filters in
> your mail program.

For those operating postfix MTA's, putting this into
sender_checks.regexp:

/\.sspam at uol.com.br$/   REJECT Antispam UOL SPAM not wanted here

and using it with sender_access in an smtpd restriction will get rid of
those emails without affecting anything else from that ISP. I'm sure
sendmail and exim users can give a similar recipe.

> Under the banner of a good offense makes a great defense, I proposed
> some type of tar pit set up by a number of fedora users and within
> minutes, the smtp servers at uol.com.br will be shut down and they will
> investigate the issue.

Tar-pitting isn't going to affect any sanely configured MTA. It is only
good against bulk mailers.

Cheers
Steffen.