Stateless IM

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 30 11:42:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 20:32 +0100, Andy Pieters wrote:
> Does anyone know of a program that can directly connect a Linux box to
> a windoze box so that we can chat?

Two IRC clients with a DCC connection? mIRC can do it without needing a
server, I haven't looked if XIRC can.

Running the "talk" client and server.  I think you can run that over the
internet without too many dramas, but it's been ages since I played with
talk.

Various IM systems can do direct peer-to-peer for some connections.

You can always run your own server, if you don't like external ones
(whether that be an IRC server, Jabber server, or something else).

I read messages from the public lists.