Running wine on FC4 and xorg ATI drivers = system lockup

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Tue Sep 6 22:20:55 UTC 2005

Anyone else get a hard system lockup when running wine (or cedega) with
the xorg ATI drivers?  It happens even if I remove the .wine directory
and run wine for the first time to create the .wine defaults.  During
the creation of the default .wine directories my system locks up completely.

The post below at linuxquestions.org resembles my experiences.  The
common element seems to be we all have an ATI card.  I use an ATI 9200 SE.

System:
  P4 2.4GHZ HT  (tried non SMP kernel with same lockups as the result)
  ATI 9200 SE
  FC4 (all released updates)

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&postid=1812744#post1812744

BTW.  Wine works fine on another system that has a geforce3 card.  That
system does not have HT.