NEW INTEREST

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Wed Sep 7 03:00:49 UTC 2005

>  I AM A NEWBIE IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD,BUT WOULD
> ENJOY PARTICIPATING IN THE FINE ART OF LINUX.  PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I MAY
> FIND OUT MORE ABOUT IT...ie-WHERE TO GET ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ON THE SUBJECT, OR
> TO FIND TECHNICAL HELP. THANX....KEN

Welcome, Ken.  You have come to one right place for help, and there is
much more available.  Most of us begin by simply watching the flow of
messages here to understand the culture and etiquette of the list.  How
you post a question can influence the response you get, because traffic
is heavy and the contributors are busy.

You didn't say whether you have access to the Fedora CD set.  You can
find pointers to obtain it at http://fedora.redhat.com/ .  You likely
found that site if you found this mailing list.

Another alternative is to obtain Fedora by purchasing a CD set from
someone who sells it, or buying a book containing Fedora CD's.
Christopher Negus has written a nice book introducing Fedora, and he has
kept it updated as well as can be hoped, I think.  There are others,
too.  I just happen to like Chris's book.  If you are looking for some
good background before you start spinning CD's, this is a good
alternative.

Many questions can be answered from the archives of this list
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/ .  This is a good source to
solve problems with the initial download and burning of CD's before you
install Fedora. It's a good link to bookmark, so you don't lose track of
it.

As with so many things, Google is your friend and can often times help
you to fix a problem yourself by learning from the experience of others.
That being said, getting the most from Google often depends on knowing
enough about Fedora to make use of what you discover (Another reason to
consider obtaining an introductory text if you are absolutely new to
Fedora).

I would be remiss not to point you to the release notes at
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/ .  Especially for your
first installation, reading the release notes before spinning the CD's
can save you some grief.  Many important items are included here.

Here on the list, you'll get a much more helpful response if you can be
specific about the problem at hand, and if you have tried some of these
other resources before coming to the list.  It helps others to know what
you have already tried so we don't repeat steps or steer you wrong by
accident.  And sharing what you have already done shows respect for
everyone who donates time to contribute to the list.

Again, welcome, and best of luck with Fedora.

Erik