sharing printer with samba in FC4 (update)

Michael Lai ml at michael.lai.name
Thu Sep 8 13:40:16 UTC 2005

Deepak Shrestha wrote:

>Thanks for the some detailed advice. I will give it a
>try. Right now now I am trying to install the new rpm
>package with upgrade version but it doesn't like. I
>want to uninstall all previous installed pacakages but
>my rpm query only shows the samba packages. If I try
>to upgrade the samba-common package, it shows the
>error that current version of samba-common is needed
>by the currently running samba. Can you give some
>steps on how did you upgraded to new version of samba?
>
>Do I need to stop the samba server first? or rpm
>package know how to do it itself?
>
>Why can't I just upgrade the rpms? rpm -Uvh doesn't
>work.
>
>Do I need wipe out the current samba entirely before I
>will install the new package?
>
>Thanks a lot!

I ran into the same problem when I first tried to upgrade.  First you
will need to uninstall the old samba.  When I did that though, it
complained of dependency from samba-config-samba.  I looked at
samba-config-samba and decided that I didn't really need the gui so I
uninstalled that too.  After it was uninstalled, you can then go ahead
and uninstall fedora's samba.

Before I installed samba 3.0.20 though, I had to install samba-common
(from samba's site, of course) first.  Once that's done, you can
installed samba 3.0.20.

You can stop samba first to be safe but I think rpm will do that for you.

Hope that helps.