smb.conf (a little help please)

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Fri Jul 28 02:31:34 UTC 2006

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 18:57 -0700, jdow wrote:
>
>> From: "hbrhodes" <hbrhodes at gmail.com>

>>> i can see the home directory and i can see the R2314 directory
>>> contents.  however, it will not let me write to either, and it will not
>>> let me see the files in the directory, it will let me see folders and
>>> sub folders but not files.
>>>
>> Generally I have found it's awkward to impossible to write to a
>> windows machine unless the account and smbpasswd entry match one
>> on the windows machine. Mounting usually works best if I use the
>> form that includes the username and password to use when mounting
>> the share.
>>
>> {^_^}
>>

> I have had the same experience... could not write to the directory
> unless the logon sequence was a user on the MS machine as well as the
> appropriate password.
>
> Greg

Let me guess, the MS machine was Windows XP Pro with simple file sharing
turned off? You need to make sure the "Everybody" group has nearly full
permissions when going to the security tab. Or (might not work; kind of
guessing here) you can turn on simple file sharing, unshare the
directory, reshare it (and watch permissions get applied to all the
files), and then it might work. Then you should be able to mount the
share with any username (except a windows-known user with incorrect
password) and password and it should work.

I know, it's scary...Giving Windows directions on a FC list, but with
the rest of the family using Windows machines (and my main laptop. My FC
computers don't have screens or keyboards), interoperability between my
FC (and my Windows laptop) and everyone else's computers has become my job.

Hope this helps...maybe...did we even *want* help with Windows???

Justin Willmert