Problems installing FC6

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Mon Nov 6 15:48:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 07:33:59 -0600 (CST)
steve at afolkey2.net wrote:

Hello, Anne
The install wound up going perfectly :)  I have already installed
Gallery2 from Gallery2's svn tree, and I am now installing KDE, which I
omitted when I was with the system because I wanted to go home...

OK, here's what I THINK went wrong:
> >> it to format. 8. Here's where things start to go bad. The
> >> following message pops up as expected: "Starting install process.
> >> This may take several minutes..." 9. Then I get a prompt to put in
> >> Disc 2, which I do.  Then I am asked, in order, for discs 3-5. 10.
> >> Then I get a screen that is titled "Exception Occurred"  It starts
> >> out like this: "An unhandled exception has occured." 11. The main
> >> error, repeated multiple times, reads something like this: "error:
> >> db4 error(-30974) from dbenv->open:DB_VERSION_MISMATCH:Database
> >> environment version mismatch. error: cannot open Packages database
> >> in /mnt/sysimage/var/lib/rpm"

> >> I just had another idea, but I needed to get this down while I was
> >> inspired.  I'll let you know what happened with my idea.

Okay.  I had stared at that error message too many times without
actually trying to figure out what it said.  It said "cannot open
Packages database in /mnt/sysimage/var/lib/rpm"  What came like a bolt
from out of the blue is the fact that I had a /var partition on this
system, which of course had a "/var/lib/rpm" in it.  The idea I had was
to delete that partition and then see what happened.  The install
proceeded perfectly....

Thank you very much for your interest in my problem,
Steven P. Ulrick

--
 09:48:13 up  8:21,  0 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.13, 0.20