[Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Nov 10 01:09:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 12:59 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 20:46 +0100, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> > Damm! I must go, i have a life, but, please, Kim, play with rm -fr /
> > or dd
> > if=/dev/hda of=/dev/zero maybe you'll be able to find out some more
> > fun linux
> > commands that you probably don't know, as you has demostrate during
> > the whole
> > thread.
>
> Is it me or do people in this forum have a penchant for knocking
> others ?  What the heck does it matter what my Linux skills are ?  Not
> that they are lacking !  Did you need to demonstrate your Linux
> superiority with your *clever* command line humor ?
>
> The issue here is that I think its time nvidia open sourced their video
> drivers to avoid the nonsense that occurs every time one changes
> kernels !  Why people on a *Linux forum* would oppose that is beyond
> me !  I'm beginning to understand why outsiders refer to Linux people as
> zealots !

Nobody is opposing the desire for open source drivers.  However, most of
us are realists and understand that will not happen in the near future
because of IP and trade secrets that give the manufacturer their
competitive edge.

Demanding that something happen today when realism says it will not
happen for a long time if ever is pointless.  You are preaching to the
choir when you become a zealot as you have.  Legal issues alone will
likely prevent it from happening ever, even if nvidia wanted to do so.