Fedora or Firefox problem?

Beartooth beartooth at swva.net
Fri Nov 10 21:14:24 UTC 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:36:45 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:

> On Friday 10 November 2006 12:53 pm, Beartooth wrote:
>> >
>> > You have to do it as root.
>>
>> How do you find them??
[...]
>> Where do I find names I can read as those of languages??
>>
> Go to "extensions" as root and select them and click "uninstall" like you
> would any other extension. The language packs are about the only thing you
> have to uninstall as root as far as I can tell.

Hmmmm .... Do you mean there's a way to get to them through the GUI as
root? Short of logging in as root?? Or do you do that??

I was getting the paths as user from the GUI and then -- I thought -- was
going to use rm or rmdir from the command line. (All in one terminal tab,
with a different color coding, su'd to root.)

But that route didn't help. I got stuff like this (with an intermediate
stop because I had had to type in a file name) :

[root at localhost btth]# cd /home/btth
[root at localhost btth]# cd .mozilla/firefox/fxqgb3s7.default
[root at localhost fxqgb3s7.default]# cd extensions
[root at localhost extensions]# ls
{00222227-0B44-4A6F-8F69-75A1479A20AA}
{0069127F-F91E-4A3A-829A-9CAB9D259E94}
{00b926bd-f65b-40f8-ab00-46d910118182}
[....]
{aba3f5c2-35d5-4960-bdfc-de9c162e39ce}
abhishek.goyal at gmail.com
acmanager at ucla
{AD84B1F3-FED5-4b8d-9EB6-DDF0DE54B95B}
{ada4b710-8346-4b82-8199-5de2b400a6ae}
bandwidthmeter at gotomyhelp.com
{bbfec13a-8ca2-53f0-a852-999eb2a852c7}
[...] (note the odd addresses)
{fce36c1e-58d8-498a-b2a5-66ad1cedebbb}
{FF380879-E2AA-4E2D-A348-99B9CBD7D3C0}
filtersetg at updater
firephish at opdb.berlios.de
goup at clav.mozdev.org
installed-extensions.txt
nosquint at urandom.ca
qprefbtn at max.max
seisanbar at seisan.com
smart-cursor at www.lalala.fr
temp
[root at localhost extensions]# ls {00222227-0B44-4A6F-8F69-75A1479A20AA}
chrome  chrome.manifest  install.rdf
[root at localhost extensions]#

I tried cat installed-extensions.txt | less from there -- and it seems to
be a big long blank file. The file command just says it ASCII text.

> Warning: You might want to stay away from the del.icio.us plugins as they have
> seriously changed the way they work... basically they copy all your bookmarks
> to your del.icio.us account and then put a shortcut to 'em in place of your
> bookmarks in Fedora. I didn't like that, so I uninstalled it and copied my
> old bookmarks back... I was looking for some that didn't get loaded
> anyway. :-)

Never having quite understoud what del.icio.us was nor how it worked, I
don't *think* I've ever touched it -- and should therefore be safe. Is
there a way to check?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Wordcrafty Squirreler
FC5; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3; CXO 5.0.1