OT: How to configure sendmail to use a specific IP address

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Nov 13 15:46:40 UTC 2006

"Patrick Doyle" <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> Sorry for the off topic question, but, at least it doesn't have
> anything to do with nVidia drivers  :-)
>
> Anyway I have a Linux box parked on the inside of a firewall which,
> for whatever reason, won't let the box connect to the company's mail
> server via its MX record IP address.  I can, however, connect to the
> mail server using its internal IP address.  (Verified by telnet
> a.b.c.d 25).
>
> Can anybody point me to where I can learn how to configure my Linux
> box to use the internal IP address for my company's smtp server
> instead of the external IP address?
>
> I tried the obvious fix of the internal IP address for mycompany.com
> in /etc/hosts, but that didn't work.
>
> TIA...
>
> --wpd
Try setting the "smarthost" in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc (replace the
example IP address with your mail server):

define(`SMART_HOST', `172.19.40.150')

Do a "make" in the directory and restart sendmail.  Here's a link to a
thread discussing smarthost:

http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/0203/msg00368.html

Cheers,
Dave