cloning hard disk for recovery

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Thu Nov 16 23:49:31 UTC 2006

My hard disk is squealing like a rodent on fire. I think I am an
trouble. I believe I can read the whole drive so I can get the data from
it. I have seen a number of references to using dd to clone a disk. That
is what I am hoping to do. Here are the steps I am planning to do,
please redirect me as needed because I have not had to do this before.

1) Install new hard disk along side the current hard disk
2) dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb conv=noerror,sync
3) remove bad hard disk
4) re-cable the new hard disk using old hard disk connection
5) pray
6) reboot