New to Fedora, struggling with wireless

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Nov 24 01:58:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Erik Hemdal wrote:

>> On 23/11/06, Cecilia Lunardini <cecilialunardini at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So, my question is: is there a step by step, guide on
>>> how to set up the wireless?  It has to be very
>>> detailed, because I am an absolute beginner and even
>>> the most obvious aspects of Linux are not obvious to
>>> me.
>>
>> Cecilia,
>>
>> Try this guide (for Fedora Core 6) and see if you can follow it
>> through (I think the only missing element from a Fedora installation
>> to get Centrino wireless working is the Intel firmware that needs to
>> be downloaded):
>>
>> http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc2-ipw2200.shtml
>>
>> Nick
>
> The Clemson instructions are very good and step by step.  Take a few minutes
> to read over all of it to get an idea of what you're in for, because it's
> very detailed.  There are several steps you need to do before you can simply
> check for the detection of the card.
>
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/detail_desc.aspx?Product
> ID=1847&DwnldID=11780&agr=Y
>
> Also provides updated source for a driver and the latest Intel firmware.  I
> found both of these links to be useful when trying to get an Intel card to
> work.
>
> It can indeed be done, although it is not trivial to do.

But the updated drivers should not be needed for normal use by beginners.
Getting the firmware *is* necessary, but it *is* pretty trivial--just grab
the Livna RPMs and install them.

We should not go out of our way to intimidate newbies unnecessarily.  It's
bad enough that it is still sometimes necessary.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu