Disabling hardware detection

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 14:10:53 UTC 2006

> You should note that an increasing amount of hardware is *always*
> detected and configured each boot-up (or whenever the kernel detects
> it). For example, USB devices need to be configured and made available
> when they are plugged in, so the same mechanism is used for configuring
> them at boot time. This makes sure that they work the same way whether
> they are connected when Fedora starts up, or if they are plugged in
> later.
>
> So for this hardware, you probably won't have config files.
>
> I understand that kudzu does less than it used to, as more hardware is
> moved to udev/HAL.
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7745
>
> James.
>
> --> them at boot time. This makes sure that they work the same way whether
> they are connected when Fedora starts up, or if they are plugged in
> later.
>
> So for this hardware, you probably won't have config files.
>
> I understand that kudzu does less than it used to, as more hardware is
> moved to udev/HAL.
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7745
>
> James.

Thanks James.  I was looking to toy around with speeding up the boot
process a bit by removing needless steps such as checking for hardware
changes at bootup.

Regards thumb drive, I have one that is partitioned in two and FC5
tries to mount the physical device which fails, telling me I need to
be root.  Of course what needs to be mounted is the individual
partition, not the device.  I simply added myself in the sudo file to
allow my regular username to mount & umount.  I simply cancel the
error and then mount it from bash.

Thanks,

Jacques