Alternative to using swap for hibernating

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 09:45:50 UTC 2007

>> Do I have any other ways to get hibernation working?
>
> What about using a swap file instead?

Unfortunately won't work, swsusp requires a real swap partition - It
cannot use a swap file ( It would need to read the swap file, on say /,
before / is mounted ... )

I have a machine with 1.25G of ram and *only* 1G of swap. Hibernate
works fine most of the time - The trick is to make sure I don't have
1.25G of stuff in ram that needs saving. 99% of the time I don't so it
works.

You problem is you are trying to hibernate with more stuff in ram than
can fit on your 512M swap area. You solutions are I think

a) Close down some apps before hibernating, to get your memory footprint
below 512M
b) add more swap space

Chris