Confession of error...

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Apr 30 01:05:37 UTC 2007

David L. Gehrt writes:

> Because I had  some difficulty with the full install of  Core 6 the question
> is what  is the likelihood of a  successful upgrade straight from  Core 3 to
> Core 6.   So far it  isn't looking that  good.  I booted  up the Core  6 DVD
> started an  upgrade and things  stopped at the checking  dependencies point.
> There was no appearance of the progress bar, after 30 minutes, nor did there
> seem to be any activity on he DVD drive.
>
> I am hoping not  to have to do a chain of  installs starting with the system
> at Core 3 --> Core  4 --> Core 5 --> Core 6.  If it  is even possible to get
> core  4 and  core 5  installation  media.  [Checking  on installation  media
> availability is next.]
>
> Any practical advice would be more than welcome.

Have patience.

Really.  You say it's an old K6.  It's entirely possible that it can take
+30 minutes for Anaconda to figure out what it wants to upgrade, on a slow
box.  I quite distinctly recall being pissed myself, regarding this subject.

I believe that you'll have a shell prompt on one of the ALT-VTs, probably
ALT-F2.  If you switch there and run "top", you're likely to observe
Anaconda spinning its wheels, for a good part of an hour.

But, before you try this again, there are a couple of things you'll need to
do, in order to make sure things go smooth.  Boot FC3 again, and make sure
your filesystems are clean.  Touch /.forcefsck then reboot, to recheck all
filesystems.  Then, run "rpm --rebuilddb", then finally reboot into the FC6
installer.

And go out for dinner while the stupid thing figures out what it wants to.