How to access locked files on FC6 from FC2 on same machine

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 30 07:44:00 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 18:35 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I'm usually running FC2, but also have FC5, and FC6 on this machine. I have
> access to FC6's / directory from FC2, but some files, /boot/grub/grub.conf
> have a darned big padlock on them, so I can't even read them. I try to answer
> the odd question from the list, and just being able to post a few lines from
> a file is usefull.

As pointed out by the other poster, those files require root access for
reading (as well as writing).  One reason being that they can contain
passwords, or other data that must be keep secret from ordinary users.

To become root, type into a console:  su -
Then issue commands from that console (e.g. start up a text reader, in
there).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.