F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 USB stick

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 2 00:02:26 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>> I don't think the Fedora kernel developers ever try to "improve"
>>> something like a WiFi module, anyway.
>> There has been a hell lot of misinformation in this thread but this one
>> takes it to a whole new level. Fedora/Red Hat developer John Linville
>> (http://people.redhat.com/linville/) is the upstream wireless subsystem
>> maintainer for the Linux kernel.
>
> Sorry, but if they do actually try to improve on Linus' team in this area
> I wish they wouldn't.

Being the upstream wireless subsystem maintainer means that John
Linville is part of what you call "Linus team" (ie) all the wireless
patches go through the sub system maintainer.

You should not extrapolate your personal experiences and declare that
any specific patches not upstream yet doesn't improve something. The
additional work is being done for a reason. Upstream kernel developers
have left the distributions to stabilize on the code they provide in the
2.6 branch because of the large number of changes being committed. So
shipping the vanilla kernel as it is not even recommended by many of
them. Regardless of that it is likely that there will be a vanilla
kernel as part of the Fedora repository for testing and feedback. See
fedora-kernel list for details.

> I'm not sure where one finds either of these -
> presumably with the kernel source?
> (I looked at the developer's URL you gave, but didn't find anything there.)

rpm -q --changelog <packagename>
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/rpms/kernel/F-7/

Next time people, if you want to know something about development of
Fedora ask, instead of assuming. I have even starting a whole new column
in Fedora weekly news in part to avoid the ridiculous of misinformation
being circulated.

Rahul