RFE: how to file

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 5 18:35:08 UTC 2007

Globe Trotter wrote:

> that's one way, but not the only way. one way is to see if anyone else is
> interested, and if there is interest in such a thing. that is what a RFE does.

I know the people who the RFE against distribution is going to land to
and they are extremely busy to be involved with this. If you are a XFCE
user you probably have a better idea on what packages to ship and taking
on the effort is very likely to get you better results.

If you want to see if other people are interested post to a mailing
list. Bugzilla RFE's get assigned to one or two people usually. You need
to hit a bigger target to improve your chances of success.

> Note that the F7 respins are completely empty which shows that there is a
> problem in respinning there somewhere.....in other words, it may not exactly be
> "easy" to follow set of directions.....

On the contrary, Fedora Unity people who used to do this work are the
folks who wrote revisor because they wanted everybody who needed such
respins to be able to do it themselves. Now that a lot of people have
started doing such spins, it is pretty clear that the tools have been easy.

Creative commons, system tap live images, vendors who do variations of
Fedora packages and are shipping the results everywhere, regional
language spins etc are very visible.

> look up your posts: look it up and see if you say otherwise. you said exactly
> that in the light of ESR. Not putting words in your mouth since you did not use
> them -- you used your fingers...

Quote me if I did. I encouraged people who complain to spend their time
productively by complaining in the right places like filing bug reports.
   Don't do literal reading deliberately.

>> Bugzilla RFE's are more suitable for a specific package. General changes
>> are probably better discussed in a mailing list like fedora-devel rather
>> than bugzilla. Btw Red Hat doesn't pay me anything to work on Fedora. My
>> day job is entirely different.
>
> As I suspected.

If you suspected that why did you bring up fat cheques? Nobody has a day
job that requires them on Sunday writing up Fedora weekly news report,
getting various other Fedora work done and on midnight answering
inflammatory mails like this. Guess watching a movie is more productive
eh ;-)

Rahul