VMware install problem. SOLVED.

Erik P. Olsen erik at epo.dk
Sun Aug 5 22:49:53 UTC 2007

Erik P. Olsen wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 15:09 +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>>> I have been foolish enough to upgrade my VMware server release (on
>>> FC5) and now it won't launch. Seeing the error messages produced I
>>> didn't really expect it to launch. Please take a look at the attached
>>> error message file. It looks like the install process doesn't like
>>> c++. Is that because I need to upgrade the kernel? I am currently on
>>> 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 and the VMware I am trying to install is
>>> VMware-server-1.0.3-44356 and any-any 113.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help,
>>
>> Is that the end of the log?  Those warnings are not unusual, but (in
>> Workstation, at least) they are usually followed by messages about
>> success loading the vmmon module, then attempts to compile and load the
>> vmnet module.  Your log has no indication of an actual error that stops
>> the build, but no indication of success either.
>
> This was no log just output from stderr.
>>
>> If the build really did succeed, then can you post the result of trying
>> to start the VM from a command line?  Is there anything unusual in dmesg
>> or /var/log/messages about starting the service at boot?
>>
> There are no messages from command line launch. The VM just ends without
> any message. I have come to believe that it is due to harware problems
> with the partition in which the VM lives. I will proceed with this
> assumption by creating a new VM in another partition and see if I can
> reinstall the OS there.
>
> If it is correct what you say (I have no reason to believe otherwise) I
> should soon be up and running.

At first I thought the problem was due to a faulty vmware-config.pl but it
turned out that the culprit was a disk error in the directory holding the
vertual machine. I had to regen my guest operating system which I hate (W2K) but
at least I can now use it again for those programs that cannot run on Linux.
What a relief.

--
Erik.