About to go back to windows host -- need advice

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Fri Aug 10 15:55:09 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> David Frascone wrote:
>
> > So -- I'm considering going a different direction.  I still don't want
> > dual boot -- there are several times when having access to both windows
> > and linux at the same time is very useful.  So, I'm considering using XP
> > as the *Host* os, and running Linux in a VMware session.  So -- this
> > generates some questions:
> >    o   I *assume* that Linux will be WAY more friendly in a vmware
> > session than windows -- is this a correct assumption?
>
> Not sure what happens when you suspend/resume the windows host, but
> otherwise everything should be fine.
>
> >    o   Is VMWare the best thing to use here?  I know Linux is pretty
> > happy in other virtualizers -- which one works best with windows as a
> > host?  Before anyone starts talking about *real* virtualizers -- keep in
> > mind I have a Pentium M, w/o the VT stuff -- So -- Xen is out.
>
> You'll want to install vmware tools in the guest to get better
> performance.  I don't think the other choices (parallels, virtualpc)
> have an equivalent and it makes a big difference.
>
> If you are mostly network-connected, another option to consider would be
> putting linux on a different box somewhere and accessing it with freenx
> and the windows NX client. You'll get approximately the same effect when
> connected, plus the ability to disconnect with everything still running
> which may or may not be an advantage, depending on what you are doing.

That's definitely an option.  I had discounted NX in the past, since it was
incompatible with synergy -- but since I don't use synergy any more . .

I did forget one other question:  When I re-do things, can I choose to
dual-boot *or* run the linux partition in vmware?  Or, would it be better to
just pick VMWare *or* natively booting?

I know windows doesn't like to do both . . and I assume that linux won't
enjoy the constant driver changing -- but other than that . . . could that
be the "best of both worlds"?  I could boot to linux sometimes -- or --
other times run in in a VM, off of the normal linux partition?

--
David Frascone

Meow... SPLAT... Ruff... SPLAT... (Raining cats & dogs)