Internet slow down related to the firewall

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 12 21:58:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 00:56 +1000, David Timms wrote:
>  > On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 12:34 +1000, David Timms wrote:
>  >> Les wrote:
>  >>>> ...
>  >>>>> was good.  I checked the modem setup and it was good (DSL), and I
> looked
>  >>>> What speed is the service supposed to provide ?
> Mind stating what your ISP says is the data rates they are supplying you
> with on your plan ?
>
> What are the sustained upload and download rates that are achievable
> when the planets are aligned ;) ?
>
> Have you tried the ISPs 10MB {or whatever} test file {many have one} ?
>
>  >           inet6 addr: fe80::20c:f1ff:fe7f:2e13/64 Scope:Link
> Guessing you don't really want ipv6 enabled, so why not see if adding
> this makes a difference {requires restart}: /etc/modprobe.conf
> install ipv6 /bin/true
>
>  >           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> Are you willing to try setting MTU 1492 - just for a giggle ?
> It will really be worthwhile with the peer2peer you seem to be allowing
> to connect.
>
> DaveT.

Well, I'll be darned.  That did it that time.  I'm now getting

1311Kb download and 403Kb upload.  Not great but beats the heck out of
30k.

  I'll have to research this some more, now.  I still can't believe how
that could set the speed down to 3Kbs down and next to nothing up.

The peer2peer is for VR stuff (Croquet and SecondLife), and is needed to
affect anything like reasonable operation.

Regards,
Les H