Has anyone ever made scanning work?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Aug 13 19:44:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:43:29 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> Define "just works,"

Just what it says.  Plug it in and it starts working.

> what is your firmware line in snapscan.conf?

There is none.  No firmware upload is required for this scanner.

The relevant line in snapscan.conf is this:

# Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
# firmware upload is needed by the scanner
firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin

Notice that it hasn't changed from the default as-installed snapscan.conf.

> This
> would just work if I could get xsane to stop trying to improve it and
> use it as is. Do you have/use a firmware update, and if not how did you
> ask it not to try to do one?

The issue never came up.  I plugged in the scanner, loaded xsane, and started
scanning stuff.  That's really all there was to it.