GRUB trouble

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Aug 16 02:19:05 UTC 2007

David Krings wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>> I did try install and setup at the grub prompt, but I have no idea
>>> how the INSTALL_DEVICE is called as it is to be the FakeRAID, which
>>> was named nvidia_andthensomething.
>>    Who gave this name to your stuff. There is no such thing as a fake
>> raid and not sure why you have it :-)
>
> The nvidia.... name is made up by dmraid I assume as some name for the
> RAID array, which was created using the RAID BIOS of the nVidia chipset.
> I didn't pick that name, I'd have called it simply "RAID" or "A".
>
>>    Hi David, did you have the F7 install program make your raid-1 or
>> did you do that after you installed F7? I am writing a paper on how
>> to install raid-1 on an already installed home Hard Drive.
>
> I used the RAID chipset BIOS for it as I doubt that U can get a Linux
> and XP software RAID play nice together.
>
> David

    Well David, I have no idea what XP Windows can do. And I think when
you say you used the RAID chipset BIOS you are using a hardware raid-1.
That is fine. But you have two hard drives with a /boot/grub directory
and I am not sure which one is being used. So they both should be set up
to do a boot.

    Do you know how to reset grub so it uses the proper place to find
the information? I have it wriiten down somewhere. I will look around
for it.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User