F7 and wireless and broadcom -- looking for feedback

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sun Aug 19 19:23:01 UTC 2007

>> It might be worth noting that the instructions are for an unsecured
>> network only.
>>
>> The generally accepted minimum security used on Wifi nowadays is
>> WPA.
>
> i do actually mention that.  and i'm naturally assuming that, once the

Sorry, I must have missed it.

> interface is up and running unsecured, it's a simple matter to start
> adding security on top of that.  but that's outside the scope of that
> recipe.

Well it's true that if you can't get the wireless device to work with an
unencrypted AP it doesn't stand much chance with an encrypted one.  But
an AP that has WEP or WPA enabled won't let you 'associate' at all
unless you have the right encryption stuff sorted out, so it is not
quite that you can somehow associate to an encrypted AP with your
existing recipe and then sort out the encryption.

FWIW I had good luck with wpa_supplicant whenever I used it, it's not to
hard to set up either on the APs I tried it with.

-Andy