MBR gone and rescue disc not happy - HELP!!!!

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 11:46:46 UTC 2007

> I've booted from the Fedora rescue CD and all seems okay. It does complain
> that some of the points have not been mounted due to a problem. When I look in
> /mnt/sysimage everything is more or less fine. /boot is on /dev/hda1 with the
> LVM in /dev/hda2.
>
> When I look in /dev though, I'm not seeing hda hda1 hda2 - infact, other than
> VolGroup00, null and two others there is nothing in there, so I can't run
> /sbin/grub-install.
>
> Can someone please help me here? This is something new to me in Linux (I've
> never had to reinstall grub) and I really need to get the drive up and running
> again!
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul
When booting with a rescue CD, are you first mounting the root (/)
partition at a {mount point} in the Live CD environment, and then
mounting the /boot partition under {mount point}/boot?  That way the
boot partition is mounted at the appropriate place in the tree
structure.  Then chroot to that mount point so that it becomes your
root.  Then a /sbin/grub-install?  Otherwise if you don't mount your
partitions starting at / and then mounting the others below it at the
appropriate place in the tree structure and then chroot it will not
work.

Having said all that I am not 100% clear if you said some of your
partitions won't mount.  If that is the case, then the issue is
probably not with grub so a re-install will not likely correct your
problem.

Jacques B.