DD not working--SUCCESS!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Aug 31 14:04:30 UTC 2007

Jacques B. wrote:
>>     I will get this hard drive out of the computer now and the use of dd
>> was a success.
>>

>>         Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>
> Excellent!  Thanks for the update.  Out of curiosity did you boot from
> the rescue disk when you did your dd, or did you boot from the hard
> drive you were cloning?
    Hi Jacques, I used the drive I was cloning. That way I could keep
using the Internet and write things.

>  If you booted from the hard drive and then
> cloned it while booted from it that would explain some of the quirky
> issues you may have faced afterwards.
    I do not think that is true. Most of the quirky issues were the
result of my stupidity. And they were expected results if you understood.

>  Because the clone would be of a
> running system.  So booting from it would be comparable to booting
> from a system that crashed (I'm making an educated guess at that one).

    Not a good guess. To use DD you need a computer with dd and a fast
cpu. I did top while dd was working and it was taking 70% of the cpu's
time :-P

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User