audio gone since upgrade to F8

Huub huubvanniekerk at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 17:14:16 UTC 2007

> Try aplay -lLv to see what alsa thinks is available.

as root:

default:CARD=CK8S
     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
     Default Audio Device
front:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
     Front speakers
surround40:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround41:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround50:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround51:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
null
default:CARD=UART
     MPU-401 UART
card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK8S]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK8S -
IEC958]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

> Then aplay -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav to see if you can play directly through
> alsa.

Yes, that works but only as root.

> I saw problems with esound being automatically enabled in F8 when it was
> in rawhide.
> esdctl off
>
> I also needed nothing that pulseaudio provided and couldn't get it to
> work.  I admit I didn't
> try very hard. ;-)
>
> yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
>
> If it works after this you know it is pulseaudio related and can go from
> there.
> If it comes up with another error you can search yum packages to see if
> it is
> available
>
> yum list all | grep -i "part_of_packagename"  e.g. pulse or alsa, etc.

Didn't remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio yet. Any more suggestions?