F8 install failure again & again

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Dec 18 06:55:12 UTC 2007

On 2007/12/17 01:33 (GMT-0500) Felix Miata apparently typed:

> On 2007/12/16 14:28 (GMT) Alan Cox apparently typed:

>> Felix Miata wrote:

>>> It used to be that PATA was not SATA was not SCSI was not USB, and we could
>>> distinguish which was which by their names. Now since libata, PATA = SATA =

>> Trouble is USB is SCSI over a different cable, ATAPI is SCSI over an ATA
>> cable, SATA is PATA over a different wire and often you can't tell one
>> from the other (or people use PATA/SATA bridges)...

> I can tell by looking at them. ;-)

>> If your rootfs is labelled rather than /dev/hd* it should all just work,
>> and it should certainly load the ata_piix module into the initrd.

> I built a new initrd and redirected stdout & stderr to a file. ata_piix is in
> it. http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/mkinitrd.scr
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/mkinitrd-fc8.txt

>> Can you send me an lspci -vvxxx of the system.

> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/lspcivvxxx-gx150.txt

> Probably moot though. I noticed boot errors about the disk being smaller than
> it is and failure to read sectors. PowerMax says the 7 year old HD is
> failing. I'll report again after trying another HD.

I replaced the HD and installed again (try ~#8). Boot still halts after:

sd 1:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
scsi 1:0:1:0: CD-ROM ......
Waiting for driver initialization.
noresume passed, not resuming...
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.

initrd is at: http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
/root/install.log: http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/install-gx150-fc8-0712172000.txt
/var/log/anaconda*:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-gx150-f8-0712172000-log.txt
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-gx150-f8-0712172000-syslog.txt
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-gx150-f8-0712172000-xlog.txt

Other than trying rawhide, I'm really out of ideas now. :-(
--
"   Our Constitution was made only for a moral
and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409