Simple HowTo

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Dec 18 16:30:10 UTC 2007

Aldo Foot wrote:

>     I hope I am not off-topic, but one thing that sorta bothers
>     me is that many, if not *most* applications are being placed
>     in /usr/share as if a catchall place?  It seems to contain more
>     than 50% of /usr space alone?
>
>     It seems to me, that many applications such as 'games' for example,
>     ought to be in it's own common directory such as /usr/(local/)games
>     so that these (large) applications can be easily symlinked/mounted
>     elsewhere if need be, otherwise it can be bothersome to move, mount,
>     or symlink these otherwise potentially large applications?
>
>     I wonder what the point is of having /usr/games, /usr/local if
>     no one seems to use these otherwise mostly empty directories?
>
>     I seem to think it might be an added bonus giving the installer
>     the choice as to where to install their application(s)?
>
>     Just wondering.
>
>     No virus found in this outgoing message.
>     Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>     12/16/2007 11:36 AM

> This might answer the /usr/share question:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.11.html
>
> "Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn't
> need to be modified should store that data in /usr/share (or
> /usr/local/share, if installed locally). It is recommended that a
> subdirectory be used in /usr/share for this purpose.
>
> Game data stored in /usr/share/games must be purely static data. Any
> modifiable files, such as score files, game play logs, and so forth,
> should be placed in /var/games."
>
> ~af

Aw, you beat me to it.

I also have this as more of a description from the Linux Standards Base.

Installing Your Application in the Right Place
http://www.linux-foundation.org/docs/lsbbook/install-app.html

Following a set standards would solve one issue with commercial
acceptance of Linux.  Finding everything in the same spot for all
distributions.

--
Robin Laing