Install-no errors-no Fedora

Mike Adolf mlnx at mho.com
Thu Feb 22 00:44:44 UTC 2007

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 February 2007 18:50, Mike Adolf wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> I just ran the Fedora 6 GUI installer from DVD download.  It pretty much
>> did its own thing, not requiring much interface.  I don't recall seeing
>> a boot loader MBR choice or question. After rebooting, I expected to see
>> a grub or lilo boot loader, but nothing.  It just went directly to
>> Windows.  In a second attempt, I selected the drive I installed on as
>> the boot device - got "error loading OS".  What do I do now?  Did I miss
>> something?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>

> Just out of interest what machine make/model is this on? . I've seen there are
> problems with setting up dual booting on some Dell machines. It's something
> to do with these machines having some sort of sytem reinstall stuff at the
> beginning of the drive in case you put your windows system out to lunch.
>
> If you try to install Linux on these machines, Dell's fantastic reinstall
> system stuff at the beginning of the drive prevents Grub being installed in
> the MBR.
>
> Nigel.

My machine is a Dell xps 410.  Other distros, suse and kubuntu, were
able to install grub in the windows MBR, but they didn't work very
well.  Also, I already fried Windows once, and the Dell engineers could
not get their hda restore block to work and we ended up reformatting
hda.  Anyway, thanks for the reply.  I probably will try the install
again, and look for some custom setting to make my second disk the linux
boot disk.

Mike