VLC for Fedora 7

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jul 1 18:58:09 UTC 2007

               Movies on Fedora Core 7

    I have the VLC software working with copyrighted DVD's on Fedora
Core 6. It was easy to do. All I did was this: # yum install vlc and it
took awhile because there were over 10 dependant rpm's that needed to be
included. When it was all over I put a DVD in the reader and watched it
full screen! It was amazing.

    Today I'm on Fedora 7 which, by the way is working just fine so far,
and I expect to stay here. But I tried to get vlc and it didn't work. I
asked on this list and got a lot of answers but 2 were critical to
getting vlc working on Fedora 7.

    I learned I needed another place to get software with yum. I got a
lot of hints. But then I heard from Nigel Henry and Gary Harthill. Gary
has been around and he has made rpm files of the proper files to make
yum work. It is at http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/ and the web page is
very clear. They could use some help.

    The yum was successful and I have turned it on and it works, but. I
can see and hear small files on my computer that are .wmv types. But
can't watch DVD Movies. This is where Nigel suggested I need one more
file that will make viewing copyrighted DVD' possible. We tried a couple
that didn't work and then I went to my FC6 /usr/lib/ and found the name
we were looking for. I put it in yum and it was loaded and it works.
What I used is:

# yum install libdvdcss.i386 0:1.2.9-4.lvn6  and it worked great. So
here is all you need to do to get vlc working. I suggest you delete
totem which claims to show movies but can't.

Karl