Prevent /u from showing up on users desktops in F7

Darryl fedora at idealgroup.com
Tue Jul 31 05:19:01 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

> What's "/u"?  How do you mount it?

/u is data on an ext3 filesystem - nothing special. It is mounted on
boot via /etc/fstab entry:
$ grep /u /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb1       /u      ext3    noatime,nodiratime      1       2

/var is a separate filesystem too and it doesn't show up on the desktop
so I'm hoping there is a table of excludes somewhere that I can add /u to.

Actaully, I just noticed hald has some processes running that look like
they're responsible:
$ ps -ef|grep hald-addon-storage|fold -w67
root      2804  2756  0 Jul29 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-storage:
  polling /dev/sda (every 16 sec)
root      2813  2756  0 Jul29 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-storage:
  polling /dev/sdb (every 16 sec)
root      2817  2756  0 Jul29 ?        00:00:05 hald-addon-storage:
  polling /dev/scd0 (every 16 sec)
root      2820  2756  0 Jul29 ?        00:00:03 hald-addon-storage:
  polling /dev/scd1 (every 16 sec)

/dev/sda is another filesystem that I don't want on the desktop,
/dev/scd0 is a 70GB REV drive for backups and /dev/scd1 is a DVD drive.
None of these devices should be monitored so I'll poke around hald for a
bit and come back if I have more questions :-)

> Here, all that shows up on the desktop are three icons for opening "my
> computer" (opens a browser starting at /), the user's home (opens
> starting in ~/), a trashcan (~/.Trash/).
>
> The desktop displays what's held in ~/Desktop/ (if it's empty, and it is
> by default, nothing else shows).
>
> And, if and when I plug in a USB flash drive, or insert a disc into the
> CD drive, an icon pops up on the desktop.

I don't want that either and have this command from a previous question
pertaining to FC6:
gconftool-2 --set --type=boolean /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible
false
Hopefully this is "global" for all users.

> If you don't want any icons on the desktop, there's controls for that.
> You can use gconf-editor to turn off displaying them on the Gnome
> desktop (look in its /apps/nautilus/desktop/ tree branch for the the
> things I mentioned above, and there's a /apps/nautilus/preferences has a
> show_desktop option to stop using Nautilus to display the desktop).  I
> don't recall the tip for disabling it in KDE.
>
> There's another one, that I can't remember at the moment, regarding
> whether removable devices appear on the desktop.

This machine is going to be handling 10-12 users on diskless
workstations via LTSP so all the auto icon stuff isn't desired. I would
have liked to use CentOS or RHEL but neither support the on board NIC
and the standalone atl1 driver wasn't behaving on CentOS.