Grub problem

Tod tod at stthomasepc.org
Wed May 9 01:08:27 UTC 2007

Tod Merley wrote:
> On 5/3/07, Tod <tod at stthomasepc.org> wrote:
>> I'm trying to stabilize a RH9 machine so I can upgrade to FC6.  For some
>> reason GRUB is ignoring the timeout and upon reboot leaves the boot
>> screen up without ever booting the default image.
>>
>> Has anyone ever heard of this.  Anything I can check?
>>
>> Thanks - Tod
>>
>> --
>>

> Hi Tod!
>
> I am not sure exactly what you are saying.
>
> Can you hit a key (in particular escape) when the boot screen
> (splash?) first comes up and see the boot menu?

I'm actually assisting a remote user.  The problem is that if the
machine reboots, which it magically seems to be doing every Saturday,
and there is no one around, it sits at the Grub splash screen until
someone shows up on Monday and selects a kernel to boot to.  After that
everything is fine.

grub.conf has a valid and accurate default boot image and has a valid
but non-working timeout (10 seconds).  It should be booting up to the
default image after 10 seconds which it is not.  Very weird.

I got feedback from the remote admin who suggested the problem might be
a result of him running the machine without a keyboard or mouse.  My
thought is if that were the case then the BIOS would be complaining well
before the point when the grub splash screen is presented.

Thanks.