sound capture on Fedora 7

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Sat Oct 6 15:55:45 UTC 2007

Andrew Wood wrote:
> Recently I've installed Audacity to edit audio captured from my
> mini-disk. The sound card I have is based on a C-Media CMI8738 chipset.
> There's only one mic socket on the card so I thought this would be a
> doddle to sample. ...

It may well this to work, but unless you know what you're doing, you
generally don't want to plug anything into the mic input except a
microphone.

For a mini-disk player, or any other audio device, you want to use the
sound card's "line in" input. There's only one of those as well ;-)

The mic input expects a much smaller signal voltage range and although
you can usually adjust the player volume low enough to get the signal
down, you're then working in a range that may not be optimal for the
player's output electronics.

The player's headphone output and the sound card's "line in" are a
better match.

<Joe