Local Copy of Repository

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 09:10:02 UTC 2007

On 07/10/2007, das <dasd.here at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Friends
>
> I want to keep a local copy of the Fedora 7 repository, only the i386
> branch. This will be updated in regular intervals, that I can break it
> into DVD-s (or, even CD-s) and write them, and after installing F7 in a
> machine, the 'yum' can be run on these DVD-s.
>
> We run a kind of a local Linux club (GLT Madhyamgram) and some of us
> don't have Internet Connection at all, or, a dial-up connection. So, for
> all these friends, and me too, because the Net connection is not always
> very good (this is a third world version of broadband) and so it takes
> quite a lot of time for 'yum' to initialize after checking the mirrors.
> Running 'yum' on a locally updated repository will save this time.
>
> Now, can anyone please suggest a very simple way of doing this thing?
> Remember I am no developer, just a teacher-writer involved in Linux. So,
> something that I can work myself. For Ubuntu that thing is really there,
> very simple instructions and that do work pretty well depending on
> 'debmirror' and 'debcopy'. I have done that myself, for our friends that
> are using Ubuntu, and me too, before migrating to F7 due to Bangla
> rendering problems in Ubuntu 7.04.

man reposync
reposync is included in the yum-utils package. Use createrepo to turn
the downloaded packages into a local Yum repository, which to offer in
your network.

Alternatively, create your own mirroring script based on rsync, lftp,
wget, curl, <insert other  tools here> and simply copy regularly what
your favourite Fedora download server offers. Depending on how often
and accurately you do it, you may need to run "createrepo" yourself
appropriately.