Grub Manual

Alan M. Evans fedoralist at alanevans.org
Fri Oct 19 16:16:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 11:27 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> If grub.conf's use of /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 and /initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img
> isn't placing two files in the 'root directory' then what is it doing?

Would you tell a newbie that GRUB searches for the kernel and initrd in
the root directory? Don't you think that just saying that and leaving it
there is a recipe for confusion?

GRUB's faulty terminology or not, any documentation should make the
meaning more clear, not less. This is why I would not say that the files
are in the root directory. I might say that they were in the top level
directory in GRUB's root device. I might say that they were in the root
of the partition that GRUB was using to boot the machine. I might say
*anything* except that they were in the root directory, because that is
certain to cause confusion versus the thing in the system that is
commonly called the root directory.