Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 19:36:54 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

>>> Okay...  But it looks like, that in this case, the someone who
>>> creates this system is going to be YOU for everyone else, rather
>>> than someone else for you to be one of the others.
>
> Les Mikesell:
>> No, we'll keep using Windows on the desktop until someone makes a
>> usable replacement that doesn't take massive customization.  For the
>> same reasons that we wouldn't build cars from parts.
>
> You're not building a car, you're working with software, and this is
> just a part of it.

No, software is even easier to mass-produce than a car. When someone
gets it right, everyone can use it.

> If you were building hardware, and you *had* to create tools or molds to
> do the job, you would do so, or you would arrange for someone else to do
> so.  That's part of that process.

It's not a question of whether you can create your own custom solution
for every problem, but whether you can afford to.

 > Just expecting someone to do
> everything for you isn't going to work.

So you don't think there will ever be a Linux distribution that is
usable and reliable as a desktop without having to customize and re-test
everything before letting anyone use it?

 > The answer will be, go right
> ahead and use whatever else you want.

Windows isn't what I want, but I need a practical replacement.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com