Ubuntu Gutsy Sub-pixel font changes

Stewart Williams lists at pinkyboots.co.uk
Fri Apr 18 22:11:41 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I run Ubuntu and Fedora on my PC's with Gnome and I am aware that
something has been tweaked in Gutsy to improve the sub-pixel font
rendering on LCD displays. On all of my PC's Ubuntu fonts are far better
(for my eyes anyway) than Fedora 7/8; even the default setting of best
shapes medium looks better than Fedora, but even better still when I
enable Sub-pixel.

What I would like to do is replicate the font rendering on Fedora to be
as good as Gutsy, but I have searched around and not been able to find
out _exactly_ what the Ubuntu team have done to achieve these results.

As much as I play with the settings on Fedora, the still looks rubbish.
Especially worse in Thunderbird and Firefox (menus, dialogs, mails and
webpages)

Can anyone help?

Thanks