Ubuntu Gutsy Sub-pixel font changes

Tomasz Torcz tomek at crocom.com.pl
Mon Apr 21 07:22:18 UTC 2008

Dnia 18-04-2008, pią o godzinie 23:11 +0100, Stewart Williams pisze:

> What I would like to do is replicate the font rendering on Fedora to be
> as good as Gutsy, but I have searched around and not been able to find
> out _exactly_ what the Ubuntu team have done to achieve these results.

 Oh please don't, I have 180° different experience! Ubuntu Gutsy has
broken font rendering, turning sharp and clear letters into soft lumps
of pixels. Fedora's settings (as far as F8) provide excellent, sharp
rendering which should be maintained.

If you are interested in Ubuntu brokeness, with screenshot, see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fontconfig/+bug/153521
Along comments you will find link to workaround restoring Fedora-like
high quality rendering. You may be able to reverse it for yourself.

--
Tomasz Torcz