F8 & F9: Date & Time

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Aug 5 13:57:28 UTC 2008

Daniel B. Thurman wrote, On 08/04/2008 07:05 PM:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
>>
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote, On 08/04/2008 03:20 PM:

>> > Yes, w2kPro, XP, Vista, f8, and f9

<SNIP>
> See below for addition to F9.  It is interesting!  F8:Local v.s. F9: UTC
> I wonder why this changed during installation of F9.

If it was not an upgrade, then it is a check box during installation you have
to worry about.  I suspect that during install you forgot about it. :)

> F9: /etc/adjtime:
> ============
> 0.071197 1217706790 0.000000
> 1217706790
> UTC

To work with MS, the last line of /etc/adjtime is REQUIRED to be LOCAL

At this point I suggest:
0)   set the F8 and F9 ntpd conf files (/etc/ntpd and /etc/sysconfig/ntpd)
back to the settings they originally had. [you do use version control on your
config files right? man ci; man co]
0.1) ci -l -t-new -m"back to orig" /etc/ntpd \
	/etc/sysconfig/ntpd
0.2) remove ntpd from confusing issues on both F8 and F9 issue:
chkconfig ntpd off
i)   Change the F9 /etc/adjtime to LOCAL
ii)  reboot to MS (XP),
iii) sync time
iv)  reboot to f8
v)   verify time is right [ntpdate -d] (do not change time if it is not right)
vi)  reboot to f9
vii) verify time is right [ntpdate -d] (or at least is off by the same amount
as f8 +-a minute)
Note: if f8 & f9 now agree on the same time (based on TOY clock) but are
different than XP, then the timezone in use by XP has different contents from
"America/Los Angeles".

viii) turn ntpd back on, on both F8 and F9 issue:
chkconfig ntpd on
ix)   reboot to MS (XP),
x) sync time
xi)  reboot to f8
xii)   verify time is right [ntpq -p]
xiii)  reboot to f9
xiv) verify time is right [ntpq -p]

> F9: /etc/sysconfig/clock:
> ==================
> # The ZONE parameter is only evaluated by system-config-date.
> # The time zone of the system is defined by the contents of /etc/localtime.
> ZONE="America/Los Angeles"
>>
>> > F8: # cat /etc/adjtime
>> > 0.568903 1217870667 0.000000
>> > 1217870667
>> > LOCAL
>> >
>> > F8:  # cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
>> > # The ZONE parameter is only evaluated by system-config-date.
>> > # The time zone of the system is defined by the contents of
>> /etc/localtime.
>> > ZONE="America/Los Angeles"

>> > Ok, added the above.  I will follow up on results soon.
>> >>

>> <SNIP>
>> > Note: I did not have a date problem (that I was aware of) until very
>> > recently
>> >           and I ran all three (w2kPro, XP, f8) w/ no
>> >           problems for a "long" time.
>> >           It wasn't until I added in Vista and f9
>> >           when I noticed it.
>> Then verify Vista is using the SAME timezone as XP and w2kpro.  If it
>> looks
>> like Vista is then you might want to search the net a bit and see if
>> someone
>> has noticed Vista using different data for timezones than XP or w2kpro.
>>
>> [Note: don't change XP or w2kpro settings for timezone, just make sure
>> they
>> are the same. Change Vista if needed.]
>>
> Interesting - F8 worked fine and no changes to date/time when booting
> w2kPro/XP/Vista and it most likely changed due to F9's UTC setting!?

Yes.
<SNIP>

> [
> This message was in response to making changes to the /etc/ntpd file,
> adding in the dostep=yes, and -g option.
> ]
>
> I decided to focus  f8, and made the changes per your request,
> rebooted, but I noticed that just before udev, there was a message
> saying something to the  effect:
>
> "Setting clock: 8/4/08, 4:xx PM..."
>
> But my time is 12:xx PM, so it was set ahead by 4+ hours
> by NTP and/or BIOs?  So, as a test, I disabled NTP, rebooted
> and the problem goes away!  Seems like NTP is the problem?
>
> I even re-enabled NTP, but choose "Use local time source"
> and this setting did not corrupt the actual time on reboot,
> so perhaps it is because NTP is using the BIOs time clock?

local clock is not useful if you are not the computer providing time to the
rest of your network, and is an advanced/deep subject. [fedora should not
configure it on by default and definitely should not configure it to be better
than stratum 13. ]

--
Todd Denniston