Project Stick In The Mud :-)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Aug 10 19:40:41 UTC 2008

On Sunday 10 August 2008 20:54, Russell Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Lyvim Xaphir <knightmerc at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Russell,
> >
> > I've got a K9A Platinum.  I've had sound working from day one, with a
> > better set of drivers and a better mixer.  The difference is that I went
>
> After I fixed that wonderful permissions problem it almost all started
> working.  I can't get youtube videos to work for some reason, and the USB
> audio adapter I just bought refuses to output stuff, but the azalia is
> working.
>
> --Russell

I'm on dialup so youtube videos are a no no for me. I'm basing my comments
here on pre Fedora 8 installs. I had no problems with sound until Fedora 8,
which included pulseaudio , and when I installed Fedora 8 I had no sound.
Having seen various posts on the list I removed the package
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, and the sounds returned.

If you also have KDE installed, removing the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package,
will also remove the kde-settings-pulseaudio package.

As it is my Fedora 9 install with pulseaudio enabled, I do have sound, but as
I've said I can't use youtube as I'm on dialup, and have seen problems with
pulseaudio, and some audio apps, so have no idea if youtube would work for
me, or not.

If you remove the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package, your audio apps will use
alsa directly without the pulseaudio soundserver entering the equation.

2¢ worth of perhaps useless info, but.

Nigel.