PAN Failure -- Help

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 13:30:29 UTC 2008

MIKE - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:24:57 -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:
>
>> MIKE - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>>> I am talking to you from my laptop (running F8 and pan-0.132-2.fc8)
>>> because my desktop (running F7 and pan-0.131-1.fc7) suddenly stopped
>>> working.  When I start pan (under KDE), its GUI flashes briefly and
>>> then disappears.  Other things, including Firefox and Apache seem fine
>>> so far.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>> Mike.
>>>

>> If you have not already, open a terminal window and try starting it in
>> there and see if it will give your an error.
>>
>> It puts its config files in ~/.pan2 and there are some things in there
>> that could be delete without it being and issue (cache) but others are a
>> bit more trouble if you delete them.
>>
>> If you don't get an error I would try doing "mv ~/.pan2 ~/.pan2.bad" and
>> then start it again and see if it works, if this makes it work, there is
>> something in the .pan2 directory that disagrees with it.
>>
>>    iv=ch               Roger
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> Starting from a command line results in the dump below. Can anything
> be discerned from it?  (I deleted the long memory map, which I will
> post if anyone thinks it would be useful.)
>
> I renamed the .pan directory as suggested, and pan then works.
> I guess if there is no better suggestion, I'll restore the
> .pan directory and start moving out files, starting with the
> latest modified (tomorrow at standard -0500).
>
> Mike.

The error is not terribly useful, I doubt there is going to be a better
suggestion than to try a few files at a time, though you may be able to run
"strace -o pan.out -f pan" on the command line and see what was the last file
being accessed by pan and guess which file is the troublemaker.

If you can isolate it down to a single file you might look at that file and see
if it is obviously wrong.

Though, It may just be that something in the cache is odd and causing the crash.

                            Roger