network vs NetworkManger services ??

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 06:56:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> network configuration manually.  If you want to manually configure
> things, then stop using automatic configuration systems, completely.

The NM in F9 supports manual configuration through the applet... right
click...edit connections.  You can setup both wired and wireless
'connections' manually. I've never had to use it. But i just did it
just now to manually set an ip for this machine different from the one
my dhcp server is configured to give me and it works. You can setup a
static ip.. you can setup a dns server you can even setup the
domainname to search.  Once manually configured that information is
stored in ,gconf down under .system/networking/connections for that
user associated with a connection name.  You select the connection as
named from the list in the applet...and NM will use those manual
settings.  If the manual setting UI is confusing, and you have some
thoughts on how it should be rearranged more intutively, file bugs
upstream.  If people want to screw around with the gconf keys instead
of using the UI...and need documentation on how to generate the gconf
files necessary to do this by hand...that is something to take up with
the upstream project most likely via its dedicated mailing list or irc
channel.  If people want to see nm-connection-editor grow cmdline
support that is also something to take up with upstream.

-jef