Ello, I'm sort of new to the lists...is it best to install from livecd?

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Tue Sep 2 13:17:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 08:49 -0400, Travis Arnold wrote:
> Erm I've been using ubuntu recently but would like to use fedora, but am
> not sure how to install, is it best to use live cd, or the dvd install
> medium?  Also how can I have a seperate home directory? the LVM section
> in the partitioning menu scared me off, I still have the live cd
> downloaded, but not the dvd, shall I just download that instead?
>
> Thank you
>
> Travis

Hi Travis,

The live CD and the DVD install each include a subset of the entire
Fedora package collection, but obviously the DVD includes a larger
subset; for example, the installation DVD includes OpenOffice.org while
the live CD does not (last time I looked, anyways!). In either case you
can install additional packages at any time via an Inernet connection
after the initial installation. I think most long-term Fedora users
usually pick the DVD over the live CD.

To create a separate home directory, go to the LVM screen in Anaconda
(the installer) and reduce the size of the root logical volume to free
up some space. Next, create a logical volume with an 'ext3' filesystem
and a mountpoint of /home to hold your home directories (this is easier
to understand vistually --
http://oreilly.com/catalog/fedoralinux/chapter/ch01.pdf contains a
series of screenshots I made of the process from a few releases back,
but they should still be close enough to the current process to be
useful).

-Chris