FC 11 Boot mode single user [recovery password]

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 11 14:04:49 UTC 2009

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Actually, before the umount, you probably want to exit the chroot shell.
> umount is important in that it forces all data to be written. If you did
> a proper shutdown, the file system mounted on /mnt/sysimage would be
> unmounted during the shutdown process, but my background goes back to
> older Unix systems where things were less stable than they are today.

Would you even be able to run umount before exiting the chroot
shell? I would expect you to run into problems with the file system
being in use, the mount point not being visible, and the mount not
listed in mtab until you exit the chroot shell. (Though I would
expect it to be listed in /proc/mounts.)

On the other hand, I would expect synce to flush the buffers to disk
even in the chroot shell.

But what I normally do is use exit to get out of the chroot shell,
and exit again to get out of the rescue shell. This does a proper
shutdown of the system.

Mikkel