packagekit broke rhythmbox

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Fri Aug 28 21:09:01 UTC 2009

stan wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:48:17 -0700
> Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>> The database is clean, no dupes, it verifies, and I'm stumped.
>
> If you have yum-utils installed, if you haven't already done so,
> you can run the command
>
> package-cleanup --problems
>
> If this shows no problems, as seems likely from your comment above, run
>
> yum-complete-transaction
>
> It will look for transactions that didn't finish and try to complete
> them.  PackageKit actually uses yum under the covers, so it should find
> any from packagekit also.
>
> If that doesn't work, why not try another update?  I don't recommend
> "yum clean all" in this case as that will remove all the packages
> you've already downloaded at such cost.  Cleaning the metadata ensures
> that you get new repo data.
>
> yum clean metadata
> yum update
>
> This should work because yum doesn't actually update any packages until
> all the packages are downloaded and it has run a transaction test.

Thanks both to Paul and Stan.  You all are going to love this.

I created a file with the contents of the station link:

     http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr1-toronto.m3u

I opened that as a PlayList in VLC, made my selection and tried to play
it.  error...restart...error...restart... ad infinitum.  But the error
wasn't coming from cbcr1-toronto.m3u, it was coming from, gonna love it,
http://vorbis.nm.cbc.ca:80/cbcr1-toronto.ogg.

So I changed the extension to .ogg:

     http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr1-toronto.ogg

and reopened the PlayList in VLC, selected its one item and, ecco me qua
donna mia, it began to play.

OK, I'm very mystified at this point so I decide to open Rhythmbox.  I
opened the previously needy of test/html CBC1 radio station, mind you,
without making ANY changes, other than erase it, reinstall it, downgrade
it, upgrade it, but it now works.

(They are discussing kilts at this moment.  I never knew they had built
in underwear that are very comfortable.  That sure destroyed a myth :)

There is an obvious break somewhere in the shared configuration files
but I have no idea where.

I'm just happy to have me radio playin' :D