kickstart -- refreshing rpm's.

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:19:53 UTC 2009

Tait Clarridge-2 wrote:

>> > %post
>> >
>> > /usr/bin/yum -y update >> /root/post_install_update.log 2>&1
>> >
>> > This will update the system without you having to do anything and
>> > log what it has done for your viewing pleasure.
>>
>> The disadvantage to this is that it will download a lot more data than
>> is needed if you pull the initial install source as well as the
>> updates.  And it takes up a good bit of time if there are a lot of
>> updates.  Having anaconda only install the latest packages speeds
>> things up and saves on bandwidth. :)
>
> This is true, I was just giving him a quick and dirty way to try. I
> would NEVER do this from home unless I wanted to say goodbye to my
> monthly bandwidth allowance, I was using it from work and we have very
> fasts speeds to some of our local mirrors.

Or - you can make your own Fedora re-mix iso using mock/pungi, and thereby
get a new DVD which will install with the latest RPMs current at the time
the re-mix was made.  Another advantage is that you can make the
personalised DVD iso without all the additional language support thereby
reducing the iso from around 3.7GiB to around 2.5Gib - then the install on
other machines would be even quicker and updates after install likely to be
pretty quick and not need much bandwidth.  Of course you need to spend the
time making the remix iso - but once done it saves a lot on installs on the
other machines.

I have a "recipe" for running mock/pungi if there is interest ...